Anemia is a health condition where the body lacks the amount of Red Blood Cells making it difficult for the body to carry oxygen to tissues. The effect of anemia can be mild or severe depending on its type and can be an alarming sign of serious health issues.
Having anemia makes you feel tired and weak, hence, it is advised to go for hemogram test to detect the type of anemia and get the proper medication for it. Let’s get into the details of the most common symptoms of anemia:
Table of Contents
Signs and Symptoms
Shortening of breath
- Pale skin
- Chest pain
These are some common symptoms but the signs and symptoms vary depending upon the type of anemia.
Subdivision of Anemia
The types of anemia are based on particular deficiencies in the body like iron deficiency, low amount of vitamins, and inflammation.
Here are the types of Anemia:
A group of inherited disorders is known as sickle cell anemia and affects the ability of the body to carry oxygen to all parts of the tissues in the body.
The RBCs are round and flexible for smooth movement in blood vessels. But, in this condition, the shape of red blood cells becomes more like a crescent moon or sickle which slows down its movement through blood vessels.
Here are the symptoms of sickle cell anemia:
- The first sign is anemia or a shortage of red blood cells in the body due to which the body is unable to carry oxygen through blood vessels. This leads to fainting and makes the body weak.
- The body experiences extreme pain as sickle cell anemia shatters the shape of red blood cells. Pain is caused when sickle-shaped RBCs flow through the minute blood vessels of the chest, join, and other parts of the body.
- Swelling of hands and feet due to blockage of blood circulation in the body.
- Various infections like pneumonia appear in the body due to blockage of blood circulation.
- There is a delay in the growth due to the shortage of Red Blood Cells.
- Sickle cell anemia also causes damage to the retina leading to vision problems.
- It is a genetic disorder that passes from parents to children delaying the growth of the body and leading to serious health issues.
A condition where the body doesn’t produce enough blood cells needed by the body is known as Aplastic Anemia. It is a sudden health condition and can develop at any age.
It generally has the following symptoms:
- Skin Rash
- Skin bruise
- Gum bleeding
- Nose bleeding
- It is caused due to overexposure to toxic chemicals like pesticides, insecticides, and so on.
- Another reason the cause of aplastic anemia is chemotherapy treatment, radiation, and immunity disorder that affects the immune system of the body.
Vitamin Deficiency Anemia
Anemia is often caused due to deficiency of vitamin B12 in the body. Did you notice pale skin, trouble while breathing, severe headaches, and lack of energy or tiredness? Then, be aware as it is a sign of deficiency of Vitamin B12. At that time, it is required that you must go for a Vitamin B12 test or Vitamin profile test for proper treatment.
The symptoms are:
- Muscle weakness or numbness
- Weight loss
- Changes in the rate of heartbeat
- Unsteady movements
- The main cause is the deficiency of vitamin B12 in the diet like eggs, milk, and meat.
- It occurs when a person has undergone gastric surgeries. This surgery reduces the space needed for the absorption of vitamin B12 in the body.
- Pernicious anemia is also the reason behind the cause of this type of anemia. It attacks the immune system of the body making it difficult to absorb vitamins.
- Certain intestinal problems like Celiac disease and Crohn’s disease affect the absorption of vitamins.
Iron Deficiency Anemia
As the name suggests, Iron Deficiency Anemia is caused due to deficiency of iron in the body. Iron is the need of the body to produce healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to different tissues of the body. In severe cases like internal bleeding, the doctor may suggest some additional tests.
The symptoms are as follows:
- Chest pain
- Brittle nails
- Loss of appetite
- An unusual craving for ice and starch
- Blood loss is the cause behind this health condition. A loss of blood means loss of iron, women going through a heavy flow of periods have a higher chance of having iron deficiency anemia.
- Not including iron-rich foods like eggs, leafy vegetables and meat also give rise to iron deficiency anemia.
- The intestinal disorder makes it difficult for the body to absorb iron in the body.
- Pregnant women have more chances of developing iron-deficiency anemia. During pregnancy, the body uses more iron to form blood vessels. Therefore, the body needs more iron and pregnant women are advised to eat more iron-rich food and fruits.
It is also an inherited blood cell disorder like sickle cell anemia. It is a blood health condition where the body has less hemoglobin than usual. The major function of hemoglobin is to enable red blood cells to carry oxygen. To cure a mild level of thalassemia it is required to have a healthy diet and regular exercise while its severe effect needs a regular blood transfusion.
The symptoms of thalassemia are as follows:
- Abdominal swelling
- Muscle weakness
- Dark urine
- Abdominal swelling
- Pale or yellowish skin
- It passes from parents to off-spring as it is a genetic disorder.
- The molecules of hemoglobin comprise alpha and beta chains. Any reduction in the level of either of these chains may lead to alpha-thalassemia or beta-thalassemia.
Redcliffe Labs is India’s most trusted diagnostic lab and it aims at rendering the top-most health treatment at an affordable cost. If you feel sudden changes in the body or experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms, then you need to go for a blood or hemogram test.
Besides, going for a test, it is also required that you take proper care of your health. Without health, a person will not be able to lead a happy and blooming life.
It is difficult to stick to a healthy routine during a hectic schedule. But, you know you can do it just by having good control over your mind. It is our mind that plays with us and we need to control it. Eat healthy food and follow regular exercise to stay fit.
Stay connected to Redcliffe Labs if you are down with certain health conditions. The highly experienced doctor is always there to render their high-quality service. Reach out today for more information.