Tulamben is a small fishing village in the north of Bali. It gained international recognition after the discovery of the USS Liberty tried shipwreck. As a result, this wreck dive site is one of Bali’s most popular dive sites. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about Tulamben diving, where to stay, and whether it’s suitable for beginner divers or not.
Table of Contents
Where is Tulamben?
Tulamben is a small village in the north of Bali, in the regency of Bangli. It’s located in the eastern part of the island and has a population of around 1,200. The village is famous.
Its beautiful beach is just a few meters from the USS Liberty wreck. Tulamben is straightforward to get to. It’s only about a 2-hour drive from the touristy Kuta area south of Bali. Alternatively, you can get there by bus from the capital of Denpasar, located in the island’s center.
There are different types of buses, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs. Keep in mind that the bus ride is a long one and can take up to 5 hours. Tulamben is very popular among divers, especially those living in Bali. It’s often referred to as the “diving capital of Bali.” There are several diving schools in the area and a few shops that sell scuba diving equipment.
This is also the place where most of the dive boats leave from. So if you are traveling to Bali and want to try scuba diving, this is where you should come.
What to expect at the USS Liberty wreck dive site
The USS Liberty is a shipwreck brought to the seabed by an explosion. The ship was transporting war supplies during World War II when a Japanese torpedo hit it. The torpedo explosion caused an inferno that destroyed the ship and killed 36 crew members onboard.
The Liberty shipwreck is part of Tulamben’s “wall diving” experience. It’s located about 100 meters from the shore, at a depth of about 22 meters. The site is covered in marine life, with large schools of fish, turtles, and other species swimming around it. The wreck is colossal, with a length of about 120 meters.
It’s composed of two parts: the bow and the engine compartment. There is also a large number of coral growing on the wreck. It’s straightforward to navigate and is suitable for advanced divers and beginners, as it has easy access and a shallow depth. The Liberty wreck dive site is ideal for all scuba diving certification levels, including beginners. The water is generally calm, with a few waves, and the current is not very strong.
Liberty wreck dive conditions
Like all dive sites, the Liberty wreck dive site also has its own set of conditions that you need to be aware of before going underwater. You must be well informed about them to remain safe and enjoy your dive correctly.
Here are some conditions you must watch out for at the Liberty dive site.
– Conditions at the surface: You need to be aware of the conditions at the surface when going underwater. This is because you will have to swim to the dive site from the shore, so you need to know what the weather is like above water.
– Conditions at the dive site: Having an idea of the conditions at the dive site is crucial when planning your dive. If you are familiar with the dive conditions, you will know what to expect, and you can plan your dive accordingly.
– Conditions during the dive: The conditions during the dive are things that you need to be aware of during your scuba dive. This is important because you need to know how to react if something unexpected happens at the dive site.
Tips for a safe and enjoyable dive at the USS Liberty shipwreck
To have a safe and enjoyable dive at the USS Liberty dive site, there are a few things that you need to remember. Here are our top tips for a safe and enjoyable dive at the Liberty shipwreck wreck dive site.
– Confirm the weather conditions: As we said above, you need to be aware of the weather conditions at the surface before going underwater. It’s best to dive on a day with little to no wind.
– Know your scuba diving certification level: You need to know your scuba diving certification level to plan the dive and know what to expect.
– Stay hydrated: When going underwater, you lose water through your skin, breath, and metabolism, so you need to replace it. Drinking water before, during, and after the dive will help.
– Avoid overeating before diving: You don’t want to feel bloated underwater. Eating bland food 1-2 hours before the dive is enough.
– Explore the dive site with your buddy: It’s essential to explore it underwater with your buddy. Explore the surroundings, see what kind of marine life is there, and discover exciting things about the site.
Where to stay in Tulamben?
There are many places to stay in Tulamben, depending on your budget and preferences. You can stay in a hotel, hostel, or homestay or rent a room through Airbnb. Here are a few options you can choose:
– Homestay: Homestays are a great way to experience the authentic Balinese culture and way of life. They are usually cheaper than hotels, and you can interact with a local family.
– Hotels: Several hotels in the area offer both regular and luxury rooms with a stunning sea view.
– Hostels: Tulamben is famous among young travelers, and there are many hostels in the area, with varying prices and standards.
– Airbnb: Airbnb is a popular option for travelers looking to book a room or a house in the area. There are many options depending on your budget and preferences.
Tulamben is a small village in the north of Bali, within the regency of Bangli. It`s positioned with inside the jap, a part of the islet, and has a populace of around two hundred occupants. The villa is in, famous for its stunning sand that is positioned only many measures down from the Liberty smash.
The shipwreck is a part of the “ wall diving ” revealed in Tulamben. It`s placed approximately a hundred measures from reinforcement, at an intensity of roughly 22 actions. The smash is assuredly big, with a duration of about one hundred twenty steps. It`s composed of the hall, the arc, and the gadget cube.
There`s additionally an enormous variety of coral developing at the smash. It`s assuredly smooth to navigate and is appropriate for each superior divers and newcomers because it has a smooth get entry and a shallow intensity—the USS Liberty dive factor suits all scuba diving device situations, including newcomers. The water usually is calm, with many swells, and the cutting-edge is not assuredly strong.