As of July 2022, 4.7 billion people (59% of the global population) were found to be active social media users. This is an increase of 5.1% from 2021, with an expected seven new users joining social media per second. Due to the proliferation of new channels over the past decade, onboarding a social media agency London has broad appeal.
If you’re a social media marketer, the information about social media demographics is what you care about most. When trying to hone in on the specifics of the audiences of various social media platforms, there is a mountain of demographic research to wade through. So, we’ve written this helpful guide to handle all the legwork for you.
Age, gender, and income, as well as device usage and site activity, are just some of the demographics we cover in our 2022 social media demographics guide.
Table of Contents
Facebook demographics and usage
- In terms of monthly active users, there are 2.91 billion users in total.
- The 25-34 age bracket accounts for the largest share of the population (31.5%).
- Gender breakdown: 57% men, 43% women.
- An average of 33 minutes every day
Takeaways from Facebook’s user data in 2022
- Facebook is still by far the most popular social media network among users and advertisers, despite recent scandals, “adpocalypses,” and new rivals.
- Despite the rise in overall social media usage over the past 5 years, the average daily time spent on Facebook has actually decreased (from 38 minutes to 33 minutes).
- With only a 0.8% gain in users expected in 2021, Facebook’s growth rate has come to a complete halt.
- Younger users continue to favour TikTok and Snapchat over Facebook and Instagram, as evidenced by statistics gathered in 2017.
- In spite of all the controversies surrounding Facebook’s reach, ad revenues keep rising, demonstrating how indispensable Facebook advertisements have become to the marketing industry as a whole.
Instagram demographics and usage
- At least 2 billion people utilize it on a monthly basis.
- The group of people aged 25-34 makes up the largest age bracket (31.2%), followed by those aged 18-24 (31%).
- Sex ratio is female 48.4% to male 51.8%.
- Daily time commitment: 29 minutes
Takeaways from Instagram demographics for 2022
- Its user base has silently doubled to 2 billion in just three years, a remarkable number that demonstrates Instagram’s longevity.
- Instagram may no longer be the “cool” network in the eyes of today’s youngsters as younger users shift to TikTok.
- Nevertheless, Instagram continues to have a strong hold on the younger generations, as they account for about two-thirds of the service’s user population.
- Recent Instagram metrics and Shopping additions (like Drops) indicate the platform’s evolution into an eCommerce destination.
- Popularity of reels won’t slow TikTok’s growth in 2021; the app is still luring away Instagram stars.
TikTok demographic data and usage
- A daily average usage of 89 minutes
- One billion people use this service on a monthly basis.
- The most populous age bracket is between 10 and 19 years old (25%).
- Sex: 61% female, 39% male.
Takeaways from TikTok demographics for 2022
- TikTok activity levels are skyrocketing, with members averaging over 90 minutes each day on the site.
- Brands should take heed because nearly 40% of Gen Z says they are directly impacted by products they see on TikTok.
- In tandem with the growth of the influencer marketing industry, we are seeing an increase in the number of brands that employ this tactic.
- It’s no secret that TikTok has been “maturing” and expanding to satisfy the demands of its users, from better ad features to CRM connectors.
Twitter Demographics and Usage
- An average of 211 million people use it every day (up from 187 million)
- Most people are between the ages of 18 and 29 (42%).
- Breakdown by sex: women make up 38% of the population, while men make up 62%.
- Daily time commitment: 31 minutes
Takeaways from Twitter demographics for 2022
- Twitter’s popularity and user population have stayed roughly the same from year to year; however, the site’s demographics clearly show a clear shift toward a younger demographic.
- Researchers estimate that Twitter will lose one million users to other services over the next five years, despite its recent increase (up from 187 million users last year).
- One-third of Twitter users have a bachelor’s degree or higher and earn $75,000 or more yearly, demonstrating the platform’s affluent demographics.
- Twitter’s popularity as a platform for real-time conversation and news consumption makes it a great location to promote conversation and drive traffic to your content, but advertising on the platform remains challenging.
- Despite the platform’s failure with Fleets, fresh interest in Spaces may give it a second chance.
YouTube demographics and usage
- Users: 2 billion and up every single month
- The most populous age bracket is between 15 and 35. (highest reach)
- Gender breakdown: 46% female, 54% male
- Session length: about half an hour
Takeaways from YouTube demographics for 2022
- The youth demographic’s love of YouTube is indicative of a longer-term trend toward video.
- Advertisers see YouTube as a promising platform for the future, preferring it over more established competitors like Facebook (hint: YouTube’s ad income climbed 43% year over year).
- The rise in earnings reflects the increasing importance of the platform as a social network and a preferred streaming provider.
- YouTube has no problems with engagement or retention, as 62% of its users log in every day.
- Users still indicate that they use YouTube for amusement purposes rather than to research businesses and products. There’s a lot of room for improvement when it comes to brands striking a balance between fun and promotional content on the platform.
Businesses can’t develop an effective marketing strategy without first understanding the user base of each social media site. It enables businesses to reach the right people with their content and advertising, increasing their ROI.
When developing content, it’s crucial to think about the demographics of your readers, such as their age, gender, and the topics that most interest them. Use Twitter, for instance, if you want to spread the good word about your company.
Before deciding on a content plan for your business, you should think about which social media platform will reach the most potential customers.