Is your Mac hard drive is acting slowly? If yes, it’s time to check Mac hard drive health. If it is not appropriate, you should increase its health. It shouldn’t sound surprising as a lot of users face the same issue daily. Whether you are using an internal or an external hard disk, chances are that it might suffer from any unwanted issue.
Before your hard drive crashes, you must diagnose its health and perform an HDD check. There are multiple methods that you can use to test HDD health and even improve its overall speed. Here, in this article, we have mentioned every related solution on why you need to check Mac hard drive health. Along with this, we have also mentioned various methods that you can apply to improve its health.
Why Should I Diagnose Mac Hard Disk Health?
It is considered very good to diagnose the health of your hard drive. Doing a regular test of a Mac hard drive can resolve many issues. It also helps you get more out of your Mac for a longer time.
- Prevents sudden harm: Checking your hard drive on regular basis provides an early warning that indicates if anything is wrong with it. This can also secure your data by running an emergency backup apart from the regular schedule. Mac Hard drive health checkups can also prevent data loss.
- Alert other problems with your device: If there is any hardware issue with your device, a hard drive inspection can inform you in advance. Although this doesn’t often happen, it can be seen when your computer runs strangely and your drive analysis shows no errors.
How to Check Hard Drive Health on Mac Using Disk Utility?
There are several methods to check the health of your Mac hard drive. You can easily do this using Apple’s in-built disk utility tool. Follow the steps given below to know how to check Mac hard drive health using Disk Utility:
- Firstly, you have to launch the Disk utility software on your Mac. For this, go to Applications and then select Utilities.
- Select the hard drive from the list located in the left panel of your screen.
- In the next step, you need to navigate to the “First Aid” tab.
- Then, select the “Verify Disk” option which is located in the lower-right corner of your screen.
Wait till it runs. Once it starts running, you will see a window on your screen that contains several messages. These messages are actually about the health of your hard drive. If the messages are black in color, then your hard disk is in good condition. However, if the red text appears on your screen, then that may be something wrong with it.
If you see red text on your screen, then there might be some issue with your hard disk. It is important to repair it by clicking on the “Repair Disk” option located below the word “Verify Disk.”
Quick Steps to Repair Hard Drive Using Single User Mode
If you want to repair your Mac hard drive or recover data from it, use any Mac file recovery software or its Single User Mode feature. Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac is popular software that recovers files from HDD, SSD, SD Card, or other storage devices. Follow the below-mentioned steps to repair the hard drive of your Mac using the Single User Mode:
- Firstly, create a backup of files and shut down your computer.
- Next, press and hold the Command + S keys to bring your computer into single-user mode.
- Once the mode is active, a white text on a black screen indicating the booting time will appear on the screen.
- When the booting process finishes, each line with “localhost//” will appear.
- Type the fsck-fy command and press Return, the disk checking message will then appear on the screen.
- After successfully finishing the process, a message “The Volume Appears to be OK” will appear on the screen. In case, if this message does not appear, repeat the same process until you see it.
- Once you get the message, type Reboot and press the Return button to exit the Single User Mode.
After that, restart your system and launch the drive through Disk Utility to check if the drive is working properly.
If the above steps failed to check the health of the hard drive of your Mac, then check if your hard drive is damaged. For this, you can get in touch with your nearby Apple Store. If you are unable to do so, recover data using professional data recovery for Mac software. Some popular data recovery software like Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac can help you in this.
Why Professional Data Recovery Software for Mac?
Several unique features make Professional Data Recovery Software for Mac unique and amazing for use. This all-in-one data recovery for Mac software recovers lost or deleted data from Mac within some simple steps. It recovers data from all macOS storage media, including HDD, SSD, Fusion Drive (hybrid drive), and SD Card. You can use this tool to retrieve data from Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) and other USB storage media.
The software can help you in restoring lost or deleted Mac files of any type & format. You can easily recover files from built-in apps, like Photos, iMovie, Pages, TextEdit, GarageBand, and Mail.
How Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac?
After knowing how to check your hard drive health, it’s time to know the working of this amazing software of Stellar. Follow the below-mentioned steps in order to recover your files from your Mac device using Stellar data recovery professional for Mac:
Step 1: Launch the software and select the file types that you want to recover. Click “Next.”
Step 2: Select the storage drive from where you need to restore the lost data.
Step 3: Scan and Preview the files that you can recover. Select those files and save them at the desired location.
Inspecting the health of your Mac’s drives is very important and must be done at some regular interval. It is very easy and simple to check Mac hard drive health using disk utility. Once you complete the simple above-mentioned steps, you should maintain your computer and its data, just like regular backups. After checking the health of your Mac hard drive, recover its data using Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac tool. It is a very good tool, and you must give it a try.